Mohamed Omar

Tips to stay level-headed during final exams.

Students share stress-coping strategies and study tips for finals week

April 28, 2023

As finals week approaches, students across the country are facing heightened stress and anxiety. However, many students have developed effective strategies for managing their stress and preparing for their exams. 

One of the most effective ways for students to cope with stress is through regular exercise. Physical activity, such as jogging or yoga, can help students reduce stress and clear their minds. “Whenever I’m feeling overwhelmed, I like to go for a run. It helps me reset and focus,” said Lauren Dawson, senior biology major. 

Relaxation techniques, such as meditation or deep breathing exercises, can also be helpful for students to calm their nerves and improve their focus. “I take a few minutes to meditate before I start studying. It helps me clear my head and focus on the task at hand,” said La’Nae Hart, freshman business major. 

Social support is another important aspect of stress management. Talking to friends or family members can provide emotional support and help students feel less alone during a stressful time. “Studying with my friend makes it less stressful and more enjoyable. We help each other out and stay motivated,” said graduate cybersecurity major Montanna McClain.   

Effective time management is also crucial for successful preparation for finals. “I make a schedule for each day and prioritize my assignments. That way, I don’t feel overwhelmed,” Hart says. Students can create a schedule for studying and stick to it, making sure to include time for breaks and self-care. 

Creating a conducive study environment is also important for many students. This may include finding a quiet place to study, minimizing distractions and using tools such as noise-canceling headphones or music to aid focus. “I prefer studying in the Science Center because it’s quieter and there are fewer distractions. I also listen to classical music because it helps me focus,” Dawson said.  

Finally, taking breaks and engaging in activities that bring joy can help prevent burnout and improve overall well-being. “I make sure to take breaks and do things I enjoy, like playing basketball or watching a movie. It helps me relax and feel refreshed,” McClain said.   

Overall, students have found various effective strategies to cope with stress and prepare for finals. By prioritizing their physical and mental health, and finding what works best for them, students can approach finals week with greater confidence and success.