Photo by cottonbro studio

Students harness the power of TikTok to promote student organizations

March 2, 2023

NKU students are using TikTok to showcase their student organizations and bring attention to their activities on campus. As a social media platform that has skyrocketed in popularity over the past few years, TikTok is being used by students to not only advertise their organizations but also to build connections and engage with a wider audience.

In recent years, social media has become an important tool for student organizations to promote their events and activities. NKU’s Center for Student Engagement recognizes the need for student organizations to have a presence on TikTok as it is the preferred platform for many young people.

“Social media is the way we connect with students,” said Brittany Jackson, director of Student Engagement. “We want to make sure we are meeting them where they are, and right now, that’s on platforms like TikTok.”

According to Daniel Myers, the public relations chair for the National Pan-Hellenic Council, TikTok has been a game-changer for the organization’s outreach efforts. “TikTok has allowed us to reach a wider audience and engage with our followers in a more creative and fun way,” said Myers.

The platform offers a variety of features, such as the ability to add sound bites, filters and special effects, making it easy for students to create eye-catching content that will attract attention.

According to the African American Student Initiatives, the use of TikTok has resulted in an increase in engagement and attendance at events. It has also helped to create a sense of community among students who share common interests and hobbies.

“Using TikTok has allowed us to reach a broader audience and connect with more students,” said Greg Moore, director of African American Student Initiatives. “It has also allowed us to showcase our personalities and make our organization more relatable.”

Free Your Mind Friday is a weekly event hosted by African American Student Initiatives in the Student Union for students to take a mental break from academics, while engaging in games and line dances. These events are often showcased in TikToks.

As the popularity of TikTok continues to grow, NKU’s Center for Student Engagement encourages more student organizations to use the platform to promote their activities and events. By doing so, they can not only attract new members but also contribute to building a stronger, more connected campus community.