Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority kicks off Black History Month with ‘RepRHOsent’ event

Rho Chi chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority hosts event to help with career planning.

February 2, 2022

This past Tuesday, Feb. 1, the Rho Chi chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Incorporated hosted an event titled RepRHOsent. At this event, students were able to receive professional resources, college tips and even a free professional headshot that can be used throughout their college career.

“We decided to do this event to kick off Black history month because all of us are here to get our education as well as to go out and be in the professional world in some aspect. Also, while being Black or brown students, we may not have all the resources right now to equip us for the professional world. That is why we thought it would be truly wonderful to bring in a panel of professionals that could provide personal advice, different perspectives, and most importantly how to be successful,“ Aliya Cannon, Basileus of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority INC said.

Cannon, a senior social work major with a minor in social justice and human addictions, serves as the President of the Rho Chi chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Incorporated as well as Student Government Association president over Student Regents at NKU. Cannon believes that the professionals chosen for the panel covered topics that students can carry on through their lives after college.

The panelists featured different knowledgeable faculty and staff that have been working frequently to provide assistance for students and the community of NKU. The panel included Dr. Derrick Robertson, Neisha Wiley, Dr. David Childs and Daryl Harris. The panelists highlighted topics on personal development, leadership skills and shared inside information on how to navigate college. After the event, students got the opportunity to network and build one-on-one connections with the panelists. 

On Feb. 22, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority INC. will be hosting another event titled I Am Black History Month.

“At this event, we will be talking about our organization and how it is a part of Black history and all we have done to contribute to get us to where we are today. We will also be highlighting the importance of knowing your history and being aware of what has happened and how we can move forward,” stated Cannon. 

The members of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Incorporated shared different tips to students that are wanting to come out to different events but are unsure where to begin.

“If you may not know where to start or how to start attending events talk to a friend, mentor, or anyone you feel you can trust who is willing to go with you. I say this because it is a lot better to go somewhere and experience the event with someone you know rather than attending by yourself,” said Jaelynn Gentry, a sophomore psychology major with a minor in black studies and the Epistoleus of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority INC.

Natalie Dixon, a junior social work major and the Tamiochus of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority INC, added ways students can find out about other events happening on campus.

“If you need to go to someone, feel free to reach out to anyone on NKU’s campus. This will be a great way to get more exposure on campus and also see what events different organizations are hosting during Black History Month and throughout the year,” Dixon said. 

Cannon talked about the importance of students going outside of their comfort zone by attending these events, and connecting with new people.

“Get out of your comfort zone as well as take that leap because it is a great opportunity to learn and grow to connect with new people. Also, it is a great opportunity to truly see what we have to offer here at NKU. There is so much diversity when it comes to different people, different cultural backgrounds as well as different perspectives, but you may miss that opportunity if you don’t take that motivational step,” stated Cannon.