Noël Waltz

How the Northerner editors practice self-care

Spend more time inside the Northerner way

March 14, 2020

We know it’s been stressful lately, so find some new ways to take care of yourself from our editors.

Colin Johnson

Natalie Hamren, Editor-in-Chief 

How do you practice self-care? “I like to take bubble baths—a lot of baths. I also snuggle with my cats, browse through Buzzfeed, play games on my phone and watch “The X-Files.” It’s good to unplug sometimes, so I decompress by listening to music and avoiding the news.” 

How will you be spending time inside? “I’ll probably play “Penguin Isle,” which Managing Editor Josh Kelly showed me. I’ve been too invested in this game, but I just unlocked the tiny penguin, so I’m happy! I’ll also spend lots of my time snuggling with my fur babies.”

Colin Johnson

Billy Keeney, News Editor

How do you practice self-care? “Social distancing for me is something I do already. However, during the pandemic, I’ll be able to see how far I can really go. My forms of self-care during this time will be cooking American Southwest culinary creations (I so desperately want to live in the desert), learning how to proficiently operate my first medium format camera and walking with my son (he’s a cat).”

How will you be spending time inside? “eBaying! It’s a buyer’s market right now for everything that’s not canned beans and toilet paper. It’s way more ethical to shop from actual people on eBay, Etsy, Grailed, etc. than it is from Amazon or your local big box store. Also, many local Cincinnati businesses and artists have websites, and this is the time they’ll need your patronage the most! Besides that, I’ll be chipping through my movie watchlist and video game backlog as I bunker down indoors. I also am teaching my son (see above) how to play tag. It’s rough right now, but he is learning.”

Colin Johnson

Kane Mitten, Arts & Life Editor

How do you practice self-care? “I like to spend time with the people I care about, which obviously will be a lot harder with this whole situation! Otherwise, I like to sit at home and watch movies—it helps me escape from the worries and cares I have in the outside world.”

How will you be spending time inside? “Right now, I’m working through my TV show backlog by catching up on new favorites and refreshing my memory on some old ones. (I just finished season 3 of “Castlevania,” and am currently finishing up my rewatch of “Twin Peaks.”) As soon as next Friday hits, though, almost all of my free time will be spent playing the new Animal Crossing. Something about that game is incredibly soothing, and I’ll definitely need something to help me relax from the general craziness and pandemonium in the world right now.”

Alyssa Weber, Assistant Arts & Life Editor 

How do you practice self-care? “I like allowing myself to sleep in, making hot cups of earl grey tea with honey and almond milk and discovering new music.”

How will you be spending your time inside? “Luckily I have a very playful Goldendoodle named Rosie to keep me from getting bored. I also used to really enjoy painting, so I would like to take advantage of the extra time I have and get back into it.”

Corinne Byrne, Assistant Arts and Life Editor 

How do you practice self-care? “I sleep. A lot. Over spring break, I spent the majority of my time sleeping and that’s what I plan to keep doing. I turn my phone on “do not disturb” grab a book, catch up on “Buzzfeed: Unsolved,” “Ghost Adventures” or “Say Yes to the Dress” and order take-out. When I don’t have that lingering feeling of dread hanging over my head due to being unsure if I’ve forgotten an assignment or straight up knowing I’m procrastinating, I also like to journal or write music.” 

How will you be spending your time inside? “As an introvert with entirely too many commitments, I’m relieved I have a genuine excuse to avoid everything right now and focus on catching up on things I miss out on doing because I’m always exhausted. I can finally start on some art projects I’ve been putting off, watch movies I’ve missed out on, start learning how to play the piano and sleep. My roommate and I will probably cook a lot more—if the grocery stores aren’t cleared out already—and I’m excited to bake some new desserts, too.” 

Colin Johnson

Abby Behrens, Video Editor

How do you practice self-care? “Journaling is my go-to for destressing. It’s one of the only times during my day that I stop to reflect on my life and the choices I’ve made to get me where I am. My ideal nights come down to some kind of streaming service, a good snack, and my black ink pen all ready to go.” 

How will you be spending your time inside? “As someone who needs human interaction to thrive, these next few weeks will be pretty hard to navigate. I think I’ll throw myself into school work, start a new TV show, and definitely get a lot of use out of FaceTime. My friends won’t get the chance to miss my face.” 

Colin Johnson

Josh Kelly, Managing Editor

How do you practice self care? “I went home for the quarantine, and self care is best found at home with the people you love and already pay for cable, Netflix, food, Disney+ and WiFi. So, free food, streaming and a bigger bed will be my love language to myself.”

How will you be spending your time inside? “Lil Uzi Vert just released “Eternal Atake” and Eternal Atake (Deluxe) – LUV vs the World 2 and I am blaring the full 32-track album in the background while rewatching “Euphoria” and “Survivor” and finally enjoying “Watchmen.” However, I can’t enjoy it too much because I still have a seven-week course that starts on March 16.”

Colin Johnson

Noël Waltz, Assistant Design Editor

How do you practice self-care? “Deep cleaning is my #1 self-care practice. Especially when other aspects of life are going haywire, it is relieving to feel in control of something. A lot of us are going to be spending lots of time in our homes, so ensuring that they are a pleasant place to be is vital. Light a candle, diffuse some essential oils, turn on your favorite podcast, and organize that kitchen cupboard you’ve been avoiding all semester. Who knows! You might discover you have all the ingredients for your favorite meal!”

How will you be spending time inside? “I am going to be organizing my home, experimenting with making vegan baked goods, and cuddling with my dog and cats. My cat, Jazz, has been getting really into “The Witcher” on Netflix. My puppy, Orikosan, has no preference as long as he is allowed to cuddle with mom on the couch.”